Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is the Sky Really Falling?



For days now, every time I see or hear the news all I hear about is how we are all going to die from this swine flu pandemic. Is it really that bad? I suspect not. There has been 1 death thus far from swine flu in the United States. Meanwhile since the first of the year there have been over 10 thousand deaths from the regular old boring flu. You know the kind you already had back in February.


Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we don't need to take a look at this strain, however I suspect it is only a slightly more dangerous version that the one I seem to get twice a year anyway.


If I were to venture a guess, I would think the only people at serious risk are the very young, very old, and those whose immune systems are compromised. So, the exact same people who need to be concerned about any strain of the flu.

Lets take a look at a segment from this article....

A 6 to 7 percent death rate would make the Mexican swine flu nearly three times
deadlier than the worst flu pandemic in the last 100 years — the 1918 Spanish
flu, which killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million people worldwide.
Seriously. Really. You gotta be kidding me. The swine flu which has killed less than 200 people worldwide is now worse than a flu which killed almost 50 million people. What world am I living in. I can only shake my hand at what passes for journalism.

2 comments:

Godfather said...

If 22% of Americans are teenagers, does that mean future generations are also in danger?!

"Swine Flu hits US Teenagers the Hardest!"

"American's Future At Risk"

"iPod sales decrease as projections on future teens diminish"

I guess we can just start making up whatever at this point! ~ The sky is falling...the sky is...

All In said...

At first I thought you stopped typing because the sky had fallen on you.

Then I realized you had to break away to answer the door and accept a job from the AP.

They like the cut of your jib.