Monday, April 7, 2008

Rights

What are your rights as described in the constitution? Do you know them? Could you tell me what protections you are afforded under the Bill of Rights? I'm going to test myself... here we go.

Right to protection from warrantless search and seizure
Right to face my accuser in court
Right to a speedy trial
Right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
Right to bear arms
Freedom of speech
Freedom of religious worship

I'm pretty much petering out at this point. I want to ad something about a right to have representation in a governing body, but it doesn't ring a bell. I'm only thinking about adding that because of the way the colonies were upset about "taxation without representation". Let's see how I did.

1. Freedom of Religion (Got it)

2. Right to Bear Arms (Got it)

3. No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law. ( Missed it)

4. Protection against search and seizure (Got it)

5. Due process (Missed it)

6. Speedy trial and right to face your accusor (Got it)

7. Right to a trial by jury (Missed it)

8. Protection from cruel and unusual punishment (Missed it)

9. The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. (Missed it)

10. Resersves powers not granted to the Federal government to the people or states. (Missed it)

4 out 10 That is a failing grade no matter how you look at it. I obviously need to do better when it comes to knowing my rights.

How did you do?

No comments: